Transparency and clarity are paramount, and we truly understand the importance of having a timeline, dates, and action plan on our website. Our website is ongoing and organically updated. We have been documenting and keeping track of the steps taken. Over time, information, plans, and the timeline will be updated on our website, social media, and via newsletter.
If you would like to be posted on the progress and updates, fill out the form requesting to be added to the newsletter specifically for this Accountability process.
Phase 0: Accountability Process BEFORE Safe Mediation
– In 2012 one woman stepped forward asking Betty Martin to facilitate a conversation with Andrew Barnes about boundaries and consent.
– In 2016 – 2017 Andrew began doing less and less sessions; and having more triage protocols, interviews and check-in with clients and participants prior to their sessions.
– In 2017 Andrew stopped promoting one on one sessions, and by the middle of 2018, Andrew stopped offering one on one experiential sessions.
– An article was written about Andrew in December 2018 with allegations of sexual abuse.
– In 2019 Leanora provided several mentoring sessions regarding consent, trauma, and power differentials
– In June 2020 Andrew was invited to give a talk on relationships at an online tantra festival. A woman contacted the organizers bringing their attention to an article written about Andrew. There were concerns, so Andrew withdrew from the festival. After the festival, James Stevenson and Riya Sokol who were also facilitators at the festival contacted Andrew to propose a Restorative Justice Accountability Process.
– January 2021 – Andrew started taking supervision with Betty Martin (see Supervision Section below)
– Victoria (not her real name) stepped forward and spoke to Riya Sokol on multiple occasions in preparation for a Mediation Session with Leanora Rose. In May 2021 Leanora facilitated a conversation about boundaries and consent with Andrew Barnes and the woman
– In 2021, Andrew was invited to Israel to do a few events. A week or so before the event, a spiritual teacher had accusations made about him and committed suicide. This ordeal brought up a lot of emotion and discussion in Israel about these topics, and the article written about Andrew was brought into the discussion. The event organizer and Andrew decided to cancel the scheduled events.
Phase 1: Accountability Process Setup
August 2021 – Andrew contacted Safe Mediation to manage his accountability process.
September 2021 – The Safe Mediation team started getting familiar with the case via online research, interviews with Andrew and insight from individuals involved in the Phase 0 Accountability Process
November 2021 – Formation of an Advisory board for this process including James, Riya, Leonora, Leah, Betty Martin
December 2021 – Publication of this landing page https://www.safe-mediation.com/services/restorative-justice/accountability-process-for-andrew-barnes
Phase 2: Accountability process in effect
– The Accountability Process was publicly announced on social media
– Members of this tantric community volunteered to amplify the message and spread the word about this Accountability process
– The link to this accountability process’ landing page has been published on Andrew Barnes’s main webpage, as well as in every external communication about events Andrew participates in. See one example here.
– Safe Mediation started collecting feedback and frequent questions from the general public about this process
February 2022 – The Accountability Process was reshared on social media (including, but not limited to the Tantra, not Trauma group)
March 2022 – First Mediation Session facilitated by Safe Mediation (Andrew and client).
April 2022 – The Accountability Process was shared on social media (including, but not limited to the Tantra, not the Trauma group). Additional women contacted Safe Mediation to share their stories. We are in the process of gathering information and hearing their story.
May 2022 – Mediation Session facilitated by Safe Mediation (Andrew and client). Andrew’s Accountability Timeline was published on the Safe Mediation website.
June 2022 – Mediation Session facilitated by Safe Mediation (Andrew and client).
August 2022 – Published a Code of Ethics and Standards for retreats: This Code of Ethics and Standards serve as a set of guidelines for dealing with circumstances that may arise; also, for the operation of any events promoted on Andrew’s website. Its main objective is to educate professionals, participants and the general public on the ethical standards upheld by event professionals at events, while promoting the care and protection of everyone who participates in the events. At this time Andrew does a limited number of lectures and retreats. On retreats, he does not interact with participants on a personal or sexual level. And Andrew isn’t doing experiential one-on-one sessions with individual clients or couples.
August 2022 – Published a Complaints and Grievance Procedure: These procedures have been created for use in investigations and mediations of any formal grievance alleging violations of the Code of Ethics and Standards.